Sunday, May 31, 2009

Zee Power, Eet Ees Mine!

In a stroke of genius today, as I was fussing around with my proxy's settings and bemoaning it's slowness, I realized as an incoming student I am already privy to a bevy of goodies that the school provides me (in part via the humongous tuition payments I provide it, of course). Lo and behold, the power of the Kellogg VPN. *cackles maniacally* Up yours, Golden Shield Project! I am drunk with the power!!! Blogosphere beware, I have found a smooth way to connect and will now be updating you with not only my travels and travails but the state of my toenails and my opinion on reality television shows. Oh wait, that's what Twitter is for.

Note: Above is obviously tongue in cheek, as I don't have Twitter (oh, I know, how dare I claim to be a "modern" businesscow) and I don't watch reality telvision shows. But if you are curious, they are bright red, and they suck.

I, like so many others have reported, have failed in my mission to secure McManus housing and now must venture into wide world of unknowns. I am waffling between just securing an available apartment while I'm overseas, and waiting until August when I can actually go smell the drapes and blacklight the sofa covers. This is additionally complicated by the fact I would really like a roommate, but am pretty picky about ... well just about everything. Obviously the danger of waiting is that all the nice places get snapped up, and I'm left with nothing but crap to choose from. Yet, the little devil cow sitting on my shoulder keeps whispering into my ear, "Maybe if you procrastinate long enough, the problem will go away." *rolls her eyes*

My one and only scholarship application has been sent off, and I will now sit on my hands for the next month while I await for a response. The scary part is, despite my griping about the essays, I am well aware that the hardest part if yet to come. I have no consulting experience to speak of, and the last time I even looked at a case study was over 8 years ago. I will need to pick up some books on case interviews and do some intensive studying, and the thought of lugging even more books around with me as I am globetrotting and supposedly enjoying the last of my free days is a bit disheartening. I am however, a bit encouraged by Orlando's in depth account of his own experience with BCG, and hopefully I will be able to draw from his success and navigate my way to a scholarship/internship award.

Now, back to the mundane task of figuring out how to coordinate paperwork from 3 different countries to submit for my healthcare records.

PS. I have just received an email from Northwestern University's BE AWARE YOU'RE UPLOADING (I'm not even joking, it's even been abbreviated to BAYU) service, warning me about the dangers of pirating copyrighted materials. Obviously I forgot to turn off Transmission when I VPN'ed. Le oops. Oh, and as a CYA (another one of those silly acronyms that make me giggle), I was torrenting legal material, such as podcasts. Of course.

2 comments:

  1. Yup. Seems like no one got accepted to McManus this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. No luck. Waitlisted.
    I'm wondering whether to book any apts (studios & 1 BR) available right now, or later hop on with someone in a 2BR. Will have to decide soon.
    Also, I'm yet to start with getting my medical records in order. Now I think abt it, I've too much work pending.

    ReplyDelete