Monday, May 25, 2009

The prelude continues

Once again I find myself blogging rather than doing pressing work which actually really needs to get done...

Last week I had the privilege of attending a local Kellogg mixer and met both alumni and several students in my upcoming class. I will start with the caveat that I am not really "small-talk inclined," and I usually feel distinctly uncomfortable when I go to a mixer where I hardly know anybody. I'm quite a straightforward person by nature, and although I am aware and am constantly reminded that business is about networking and gaining connections, I am quite comfortable with a small circle of friends and have no patience for the inanities usually found at such social gatherings.

Well I must say, I was impressed. I stayed much later than I intended, and I had a really enjoyable time. What stood out the most to me wasn't how friendly or diverse the crowd seemed, although both was true. It was how damn helpful everybody was. A 2008 graduate introduced herself and immediately took the new admits she found under her wing, giving us the scoop on housing, internships, brand management (her field) and recruiting. I also met an eMBA alumnus who immediately offered us a place to stay if we "ever wanted to get out of Evanston." He owns a house 30 minutes north of Evanston (and lives there with his wife, so I'm fairly certain there was nothing fishy about it).

Yes, there was small talk. But with alcohol once again acting as the essential social lubricant, it seemed to me that the people were relaxed, happy to be chatting with each other, and generally enjoying themselves. I left even more convinced I made the right choice to enroll Kellogg.

Also last week, the announcement went out at work about my imminent departure. It has been very bittersweet, explaining to my adopted friends and family why I'm leaving them behind. While it is true that I have been very unhappy during these last months, I am glad I have a great reason for leaving and something to look forward to, because otherwise I can see how I would be persuaded to stay. I need to learn to resolve my guilt complex for being unable to save everybody, as I know the unfavorable changes made were out of my control. But happily, it's onward to bigger and better things. My colleagues are planning a huge farewell bash at an all-you-can-eat-and-drink Japanese teppanyaki, sushi, & sake restaurant. Knowing my company, the drinking will be epic.

There is tons to do, and the window of opportunity for me to get through it all is shrinking rapidly. I'm getting business school at a huge opportunity cost, but even picking and choosing the things I get to do this summer is becoming difficult. Just some of the items on the list are: learning another language, traveling to different countries, making progress on my insanely long reading list, brushing up on accounting & finance, finding housing in Evanston, getting a sorely needed winter wardrobe, attend some pre-MBA seminars, buying investment property, and oh yeah, relaxing and catching up with my friends, some of whom I haven't seen in close to a year. Oh, and learn to play Rock Band, because I must be the only person on the planet who's never played before!

The thing I am trying to keep in mind is to have perspective. In reality, there are no wrong decisions, and it's about prioritizing (god, I use that word way too much) and also finding the balance that keeps you productive but sane.

2 comments:

  1. ha ha ... welcome comrade :)
    I assume you to be the one who left a comment on my blog which was soon deleted.
    hope you get the KWEST trip of your choosing. Blog On !

    ReplyDelete