Thursday, May 28, 2009

Brain so rusty you can hear the creaking coming out of my ears

Throughout this whole application process, and now as I try to apply for ONE scholarship (I don't think I can muster the energy for anymore) what I've found the most frustrating is my difficulty with writing essays.

Like most other b-school candidates, I learned the art of BS at an early age and used it effortlessly and to my advantage through my undergrad years. But after many moons in the corporate world where writing is limited to scribbling on Post-It notes and the occasional quick email or dry financial report, my ability to generate persuasive writing has waned. Furthermore after living internationally the last 2 years I now feel hard pressed to put more than two coherent, meaningful sentences together.

I've identified a few factors at play here:
1) I now have a more sophisticated BS radar. Writing I would have felt was the epitome of eloquence 5 years ago no longer passes muster; as I become more well-read my standards of acceptable writing seem to have increased. This means I dismiss more of my initial draft as rubbish, unfortunately, increasing exponentially the time it takes to get a simple essay finished.
2) Technological distraction. I cannot work more than 5 minutes without receiving an email or an instant message from a friend, or being compelled to check Facebook or read BBC News ... oh yeah, or post to my blog. ;)
3) Shifting priorities. Although I remain a geek to the core, I have branched out significantly from when I was last a student, and I just don't find it interesting to sit in front of my computer, rearranging sentences to find the perfect cadence. It was easier when I had less of a life, but now I'd much rather be out playing tennis, getting a foot massage while catching up with my friends, or reading a book by somebody who actually has a gift for writing, really.
4) Straight up rustiness. There's no denying this, no matter how many excuses I come up with. I am hoping this is will pass with time, because if not the next 2 years will be very painful for me and my group mates.

That is the most frustrating part, knowing I should be better, have been better in the past, and really must be better at this in order to make it through successfully and still hitting writer's block so bad I feel I need to be physically shook up and down to dislodge it. There's an idea, somebody go find me a trampoline.

3 comments:

  1. For writer's block, I definitely recommend taking a warm shower -- a jacuzzi would be even better. It really helps to relax and concentrate your mind, and ideas would fly right in. Let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries. I've written a way too many essays the last couple of years, and it still hasn't gotten any easier.

    I'm sure you'll pull something acceptable out nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're going to be just fine! Just pay attention to what makes good writing good when you're reading.

    ReplyDelete