Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Consulting interview preparation process

Quick note from the trenches (because yes, it's a warzone out here):

I wish I had the time or the energy to do a better deconstruction of the consulting recruiting process, but as usual, one of my fellow bloggers has done a fantastic job of summing up the experience to date.

So I wanted to post one of the first "regrets" I've had (or better put, "something I wish I had known"). In true wannabe consulting style, I've decided to present the information in chart format.


Formal networking comprises of company presentations, meet and greet nights, and dinners. Informal networking is time spent in coffee chats, composing emails reaching out to alumni, and informational interviews via phone or person. Interview preparation includes case and fit preparation.

Overall, Orlando is right - the amount of time and energy it takes to get through this is hard to fathom. There is no way I can give an accurate number, but if pushed to guess I would say I have spent over 150 hours on the overall process, and this is on top of a full load of classes and a spate of extracurriculars. I also think I am probably around the middle of the distribution, I know people who have put far more time, effort, and thought into this process than I have.

Looking at my pie charts, it seems like a no brainer. "Duh Cow, you should have put more time into interview prep." What is harder to convey though, is the swiftness with which interviews descend upon you after your return from winter break. If you consider that the networking components stretch out across 3 months while the interview prep basically happens in 2 weeks time, it becomes easier to see how this happens.

I'm not sure that there is one right solution, because many people give the advice to do no prep prior to or during winter break. However, here are some thoughts of mine:
  • The CMC places FAR too much emphasis on networking for people who are hardcore about consulting. The main purpose of networking is to get on the closed list, and consulting companies interview massive numbers of candidates. If you have a reasonably strong background and have made some effort at reaching out, there are diminishing returns to continuously meeting new people. Instead, meet and cultivate a few trustworthy contacts who will give you the inside scoop on the firms.
  • Even if you don't make the closed list, the bidding for the open spots (of which there are many) for the major firms goes for some nominal sum (I think ~60pts this year). Bid freely - for reference, I have yet to use any of my 800 points.
  • Get to know yourself over break. I know it's painful and it sucks, but be able to explain the bullets of your resume in detail and know (and be able to articulate) the few key questions: What's your story? Why consulting? What are your strengths and weaknesses? I know I would have been well served if I had taken the time to do this over break, instead of sitting on my couch, watching football while eating Cheezits. Fit still seems to be an afterthought to case, in terms of both advice given by the second years and preparation made by the first years. This is a huge mistake.
  • Although the number of cases varies significantly by person, there is value to doing enough of them that you have seen if not all then the majority of different "types" of cases, ie. profitability, growth, new market, m&a, supply chain, etc... This will take around 20-30 cases. KNOWING THIS, think about when interviews start, what pace you want to do cases at (1 a day? 5 a week?), subtract one week for buffer, and pick a start date to do cases. For me, this would have been before school started. I definitely was doing more cases than I was able to absorb learning from in order to get the practice I needed in time - this was not only inefficient but stressful. I would have much rather started case prep earlier, and given myself more time to adjust to what really is quite frankly a different way of thinking.
  • Lastly, I want to stress this: There is NO ONE RIGHT WAY to "crack" a case. I feel like I just now felt things click this week, after my first 2 interviews (which I obviously did not do well at). The reason is because I had been getting tons of well-intentioned, really good advice and watching some really phenomenally smart people go through cases, and was trying to mimick them, their frameworks, and their thought processes. I could get through a case this way with some reasonable amount of success, but the process felt artificial and when I got stuck I got REALLY stuck. A few nights ago, I was deconstructing some case examples when I realized I had been making it far too complicated on myself. My way of doing cases is not to memorize a set of frameworks and run through a list of probable causes in my head - it's to understand the problem and identify the information necessary to construct a solution. It sounds stupefyingly simple, but by relieving the pressure to be "collectively exhaustive, blah blah" I know at least _I_ feel much more comfortable driving a case now, rather than feeling like I'm wandering through a maze to which I can't see the end. The thing that's a shame to me is that I wish I could practice a bit more now that I've found my stride, but there really is no time or energy with interviews happening everyday, so I'll just know that if I don't make it this year, I'll have a better approach come full-time recruiting.
Anyway, it appears I'm incapable of writing a "quick note" or anything that doesn't turn into a novel, but that's about the extent my brain can produce today. I hope that this was helpful; recruiting can be beastly and intimidating, especially for those of us who haven't interviewed for a job in at least 5 years - but it really doesn't have to be. Please understand this is only one cow's opinion and in no way reflects the views of the herd at large. As always, YMMV.

4 comments:

  1. this is a great post! thanks for all the helpful advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this is what I call 'really' helpful. Thanks and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Every interview is a learning experience, so learning that takes place during the preparation and actual interview process is useful for future interviews. Initial preparation should include recent assessment of skills, interests, values, and and research on the targeted company and position. Thanks a lot.

    Case Study Interview

    ReplyDelete